When I was pregnant with Margot (and well aware we were expecting a girl), I was heavily shopping gender-neutral baby clothing options. I love the little dressy and ruffle-edge rompers, but my own style aesthetic trends a bit more modern.
I don’t love pastels. And everything colorful I found marked unisex baby was pale yellow, pale green, or heather grey. There are only so many elephant-print, grey and white polka dot onesies you need. I was looking for feminine, with edge. And gender-fluid options I could pass down to younger siblings.
And I think I was looking for styles that I would wear myself. Carter’s just doesn’t sell cuts and prints that you want to wear an adult-size version of.
Through trial and error, blog reading, and mom-grouping, I’ve discovered dozens of beautiful baby and children’s brands that are major staples in our household. Learning about these brands, and where and how they are made, is really a major driver for why I started House of Henmar. So many people were asking me where I got their clothes because they don’t see anything like them at the mall or at the mall.
Most of these brands are more niche brands that you can buy directly online on the brand’s website, in-store at children’s boutiques, or on children’s high-end fashion websites like Alex and Alexa or Milk+Bots.
Top 20 Gender Neutral Baby Clothing Brands
Here’s a rough key to price markers:
- $: Most items are $5 to $14
- $$: Most items are $15 – $49
- $$$: Most items are $50 – $99
1. Colored Organics $$
Colored Organics sells ultra-cozy, organic clothing for babies and kids. The fabric is especially soft and thick and I love the saturated earth-colored palette. Many garments are solid but some have subtle modern prints that I love.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $10 – $15
- Where to Shop: ColoredOrganics.com or Amazon
2. Mini Rodini $$ – $$$
Mini Rodini is possibly my new favorite brand for Henry and Margot. Mini Rodini sells beautiful modern clothing. It’s colorful without being garish, and playful and cheeky without being juvenile. On the spendier side, you can feel good about buying Mini Rodini because the brand is obsessed with ethical production and sustainability. They use safe dyes, organic cotton, and recycled fabrics. End of season is the best time to find deals.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $32 – $45
Where to Shop: BabyShop, Alex and Alexa, or Farfetch.
3. Quincy Mae $$
Quincy Mae is a beautiful, artistic brand that sells organic basics for babies in solids and modern prints.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $22 – $28
Where to Shop: Quincy Mae website
4. Fin & Vince $$
Fin & Vince is a new favorite brand for my son, Henry. It’s all about retro style with contemporary appeal. He’s lived in Fin & Vince gingham print shorts for the past several months.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $24 – $52
- Where to Shop: Fin & Vince website
5. L’ovedbaby $$
L’ovedbaby sells super-soft, beautiful organic staples. Based out of Southern California, the brand has started picking up a cult following. I especially love their zippered footies in seafoam and sage and their kimono front onesies.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $25
- Where to Shop: L’ovedbaby website, Amazon
6. Konges Slojd $$
Konges Slojd is an organic, Danish children’s brand known for its imaginative and whimsical designs. Clothing, toys, and baby gear have a vintage-inspired yet timeless feel. When shopping the brand, keep in mind they refer to onesies as bodystockings.
- Price of Short Sleeve-Onesie: $18-$25
- Where to Shop: Farfetch or Scandiborn
7. Milkbarn $$
Milkbarn Baby has the most adorable, whimsical prints ever. The brain aims to have a rustic-urban aesthetic which makes for a unique and beautiful feel. Some of my favorite prints have been the roosters, citrus, and circus elephants in tutus.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $26
- Where to Shop: MilkbarnKids.com or Amazon
8. Hanna Andersson $$
Hanna Andersson is known for their colorful, high-quality clothing. Most garments are made of soft and thick organic cotton. Cuts and prints are based on Scandinavian principles of play, a nod to the founder’s Swedish roots. While much of their clothing does play to gender-specific styles, you can find many many gender neutral items too.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $18 – $26
- Where to Shop: Hanna Andersson website
9. Kate Quinn $ – $$
Kate Quinn is all about affordable luxury wear for littles. The brand’s tagline is “We make what babies wear.” The style is vintage-modern – nostalgic looks with vintage appeal. Garments are made of organic cotton, linen, modal, and bamboo. Everything is always marked on sale at 50% off.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $8 – $13
- Where to Shop: KateQuinn.com
10. Oeuf NYC $$ – $$$
Oeuf NYC is a major favorite in the Henmar house. Stylish and timeless colors in vintage-inspired prints and more modern ones. Heirloom quality garments made of alpaca wool, linen, and organic cotton.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $36 – $55
- Where to Shop: BabyShop or on OeufNYC.com
11. Goumi Kids $ – $$
Goumi Kids is high-quality organic apparel for babies and toddlers. The brand is especially popular for their mitts, caps, and rompers with fold-over mittens and booties. I’ve tried quite a few sleepers and rompers, and I think that Goumi has by far the softest and thickest (sturdiest) fabrics. And the knees are reinforced for little crawlers.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $22 – $26
- Where to Shop: Goumi Kids website, Amazon
12. Kuling $$ – $$$
Kuling is a Scandinavian outdoor brand that designs beautiful, technical clothing for babies and kids to play outdoors in all seasons no matter the weather.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: N/A
- Where to Shop: Alex and Alexa, Melijoe
13. Carter’s Little Planet $
Carter’s is just about everywhere that baby gear is sold. It sells hundreds of brightly colored, kid-centric styles and it also has an organic line of clothing too. The organic line, Little Planet, comes in a more muted, earth-toned color palette. It’s a little spendier than their non-organic cotton garments, but still very affordable.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $15.95 for a 3-pack
- Where to Shop: Carter’s website
14. Primary $ – $$
Primary is organic, gender-neutral clothing for babies and kids (and a small adult selection too). Primary’s aim is to create simple, cozy clothing without labels or slogans. All garments are purposefully designed to be unisex.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $12 – $16
- Where to Shop: Primary.com
15. Winter Water Factory $$ – $$$
Winter Water Factory is a made-in-the-USA organic label known. The brand is known for soft staples in fun and vibrant prints. Everything has a major Brooklyn vibe. All textiles are sourced in the USA and stitched in Brooklyn NY.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $36 – $46
- Where to Shop: WinterWaterFactory.com
16. Burt’s Bees Baby $
Burt’s Bees Baby offers affordable, GOTS-certified organic clothing for babies and kids. Garments come in a wide range of both saturated and muted colors.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $26.95 for a 5-pack
Where to Shop: Burt’s Bees Baby website
17. Pehr $$ – $$$
I’m not claiming Pehr has the cutest baby clothing ever, but I will avow that this mustard romper makes me want to have another baby. This organic, Canadian brand offers ultra-cute, comfy, and beautiful baby clothes. Prints and cuts have an artistic edge (hand-drawn prints) and timeless quality.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $28
- Where to Shop: ShopPehr.com
18. Spearmint Love $$
Spearmint Love is an online boutique selling beautiful baby and kids’ clothing and its own eponymous house brand Spearmint Love. Colors, prints, and textures are gorgeous with lots of gender-neutral options like cactus gardens or French bulldog prints.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $19 – $32
- Where to Shop: Spearmint Love
19. Monica + Andy $ – $$
Monica + Andy is an affordable line of organic baby and kids’ clothing. Garments are playful, cozy, and ultra-soft. And their twirly dresses are my daughter’s favorite (among the dozens of brands tested). Many of their prints are gender neutral, like the featured hedgehog pattern.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $18 – $22
- Where to Shop: Monica + Andy website
20. Kyte Baby $$
Kyte Baby is known for its sleep bags (for infants, toddlers, and kids) and its ultra-cozy bamboo clothing. Margot has a Kyte twirly dress (teal botanical print on white) that she loves. The fabric is lightweight and silky to the touch.
- Price of Short-Sleeve Onesie: $18 – $20
- Where to Shop: Kyte Baby website
HOT TAKES TRENDING NOW
- Meet L’Amour: World’s Best Shoes for Retro-Modern Kids
- Boys, Boys, Boys: 30 Rad Boy Clothing Labels
- All About Reima: Glorious Finnish Style for All-Weather Play
- Appaman Kids: Clothing for Dapper Little Humans
- Go Gently Nation: Slow Fashion and Timeless Style
- Lola and the Boys: For Kids Who Need to Wear a Sparkly Tiara with Muddy Cleats
- Piccolina Kids: Clothing to Inspire Girls to Love Science
- Tiny Whales: For the Best Dudes. Ever. Soco Style for All.
- Andy and Evan: What Little, City-Sophisticated Gentlemen Wear. (Gentlewomen too.)